Monday, April 07, 2008

Running Man

I went for a run right after work today, needed to wind down and the sun was out so why not.

As I was about to enter the woods I met another runner, a man in his mid-fifties, I said "hi", and "how far are You going today". "Not far he said, just up the track". "Ok, mind if I tag along, if I can keep up with you, that is" I said smiling. - "No problem, and sure you can" he replied. And then we ran..

While we ran, he told me that he had had a motorcycle accident years back, where the doctor told him he should not count on walking without a caine and so on. But he had been training and eventually he had been able to walk and then run.

And we ran some more, and he told me more of his running experiences, how he had gotten more and more into it. At that point my pulse hit 182.

I kept my answers short and inviting, as I was eager to hear more, and was not able to speak in complete sentenses anyway.

All the while he told me that he had started to enter into competitions, had tried his luck in biatlons and eventually had run some marathons, but after a blood-clot in his thigh he had slowed down quite a bit - not he only ran 5 to 10 miles.

I did not reply as I was busy wondering if my pulse would stay at 184 or if it would climb even further.

Normally I run 2,5 to 3 miles but the small trip today was 5 miles - I am beat.

I will probably not be able to walk tomorrow.

1 comment:

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

All right, already. I'll get on the treadmill!